Are you wondering what it takes to become a great full-stack developer?
Learning different skills in your career not only helps you stand out from the crowd but also sharpens your cognitive and behavioral abilities.
- It expands your perspective.
- It strengthens your confidence.
- It enhances your analytical skills towards complex issues.
- It brings out a communicative leader in you.
There is no doubt that the position of a full-stack developer allows a great deal of scope to improve oneself due to its majority role.
What is Full Stack Developer?
A full-stack developer is a professional who understands and masters the front-end, back-end, and databases of the web application.
You should be well versed with the elements of web development i.e. user interface and server-side. The functionality of a website or web application depends on two main elements known as front-end and backend.
What is Front-End Development?
Front-end development, also known as client-side development, is the element of a website that a user can view or interact with. This element gives visual functionality to one’s website or application.
What is Back-End Development?
Backend development, also known as server-side development, is an element that is not visible to the client. User interaction with the core functionality of the application of back-end development lies in creating smooth and hassle-free. Moreover, it is also responsible for the functionality behind the scenes to maintain the database and organizing and front-end.
A full-stack developer is an expert who handles the client-side as well as the server-side of a web application. They are part of the development team that works on all phases of the web application. They not only maintain the database, design, and backend operations of the application but also ensure an error-free development test and deployment of the application.
Roles of Full Stack Developer:
The primary responsibility of a Full Stack Developer includes designing user interactions on websites, developing servers and databases for website functionality, and coding for mobile platforms.
- Developing front-end website architecture.
- Designing user interactions on web pages.
- Developing back-end website applications.
- Creating servers and databases for functionality.
- Ensuring cross-platform adaptation for mobile phones.
- Ensuring accountability of applications.
- Working with graphic designers for web design features.
- Seeing through a project from conception to finished product.
- API design and development.
- Meeting both technical and consumer needs.
- Staying abreast of developments in web applications and programming languages.
Full-Stack Developer Skills:
As mentioned above, a full-stack developer is not a multidisciplinary role. To excel in this role is essential, not just a formal degree, but a broad knowledge of a wide variety of skills. Diversity is the key to excellence and success in the profession of a full-stack developer.
- HTML and CSS: Hypertext Markup Language or HTML is a language for front-end technologies. It is used by developers to administer the format and visuals of text and images on websites.
- Git and GitHub: Web development seems a bit incomplete without the presence of the infamous Git and GitHub.Git, a “distributed version control system” for developers, allows them to handle every small step in the development process. GitHub is a platform that allows developers to work on, manage, review multiple projects simultaneously.
Few languages requisite for backend development:
- Python: Along with frameworks including Django and Flask, Python is one of the most commonly used programming languages for backend development. The simplified syntax and diverse features allow it to be used for many high-level object-oriented and structured programming.
- Java: It is an innovative ‘class-based’ programming language used not only for web application development but also for mobile applications and desktop applications.
- PHP: A compatible programming language that is fast, flexible, and efficient. With features available for server-side scripting and adaptability on various operating systems such as macOS, Unix, and Windows, it is one of the most commonly used programming languages for backend development.
- Ruby: It is a programming language used for both backend web application development. The language is known for its simplified code, dynamic typing, and object-oriented principles.
- Web Architecture: A full-stack developer needs to upskill himself/herself to maintain his/her efficient responsibility. A full-stack developer to learn about web apps’ structural elements and user interfaces elements, such as DNS or Domain Name System, database servers, cloud storage, and more.
- Database Management Systems: there is a need for a perfect system to manage all the databases. For this, besides the programming languages, you should be well-versed with systems like Oracle, MySQL, SQLite, Microsoft Access, etc
- REST and SOAP: A full-stack developer should have expertise in working with Aristi and SOAP as web services or application program interface (API). These two web services will allow you to share data between two different systems making operations efficient and productive.
Soft Skills: As a full-stack developer, you have to manage multiple roles at once. In addition to this, your hard skills are also required to be proficient in many soft skills.
- Manages Time
- Team Player
- Effective Leader
A full-stack developer must continue to upgrade themselves to be well aware of all the techniques and the role and responsibilities. Different companies have different preferences and hence, you should be aware of the popular stacks for building web applications.
Here are the FAQs on Full Stack Developer:
Is a full-stack developer a good career?
Yes, a full-stack developer is a good career option if you are handling the front-end as well as the back-end of the product application. In present times more and more employers are willing to hire such skilled workers with multiple skill sets. The career scope of a full-stack developer is full of opportunities for learning and growth.
What is the full-stack developer’s salary?
A full-stack developer salary in India is approximately ₹ 582,659 / year.